Thursday, November 6, 2014

Kantele #002

completed handmade kantele #002I have learned a tremendous amount from the kanteles that I have built, and continue to learn with each one. My second kantele, #002, was started around the same time as my first, and finished shortly after (you can click on the thumbnail images for a larger more detailed view). Like my first kantele, I used leftover wood from previous projects for the frame of the instrument. Having already built a 5 string model, I wanted to play around with a slightly larger stringed instrument. Having only one string size though and a limited budget, I opted to build a small 8 string model. This kantele is also 24" long, a bit wider at 5.75" wide, and tuned to the diatonic scale in the key of C. I wanted to add some contrast in the sides, so the frame consisted of mahogany with a thin strip of soft maple accent at the top, which would be mirrored on the bottom by a curly hard maple backboard. Not having enough mahogany for the tuning peg shelf, I bought a turning blank made of African mahogany to use.

kantele #002 side view of soft maple and mahogany lamination with soundholekantele #002 african mahogany tuning peg shelfAs a side note, I got this turning blank from Westpenn Hardwoods, an absolutely awesome source of exotic turning blanks. This place is also on my top wood supplier list. Their selection is incredible, and is a great source for exotic woods for the frame, as well as bowl turning blanks for exotic wood ponsis. For their turning blanks to be used as woods for the sides, I normally buy 24" long to 36" long 1.5"x1.5" turning blanks, and rip them in half length-wise for a matching set of .75" thick x 1.5" wide pieces. Future kanteles I will be building with woods from them including cocobolo, bocote, bubinga (now complete) and east indian rosewood. A very economical method for getting beautiful exotic hardwoods for kantele making for only a fraction of the price you would spend ordering one custom built from a luthier. I will post more details and info on exotic wood selection and simple shortcuts to beautiful and affordable woods in posts to come.

kantele #002 dragon flair style leopardwood and padauk carved ponsikantele #002 leopardwood carved decorative headplate with padauk rosette inlayI chose to stick with cypress for the soundboard, as I had excellent results with Kantele #001, and did not want to vary too much yet with soundboards. The ponsi uses leopardwood, a beautiful exotic hardwood that finishes excellently. I also used a thin strip of padauk on the bottom of the ponsi as well. The decorative headplate also uses leopardwood, with another inlaid rosette from Folkcraft Instruments. I opted for the soundhole to be located on the backboard again, this time using a larger diameter of about 2.5". Stay tuned for sound clips and playing description of this kantele in upcoming posts!
kantele #002 curly maple backboard with soundhole

Extra Sources and Info:

1.) Westpenn Hardwoods: https://www.westpennhardwoods.com/default.aspx

2.) Kantele #001 Info:  http://oertheeternalstrings.blogspot.com/2014/10/kantele-001.html


No comments:

Post a Comment